Anyone who has ever hired a plumber for a plumbing job knows how expensive plumbing services can be. Even the simplest plumbing task can be costly at times. It is for this reason why it would be wise to learn how to solve minor plumbing problems to help cut costs associated with the same. Discussed below are a few plumbing tips to help you save some money on plumbing costs.
1. Drilling holes in walls: Start by drilling a hole big enough for your hand to fit through. Using your phone or a camera, take a few pictures of the inside of the hole. Remember to active the camera’s flash function especially if it is dark inside.
2. Unreasonably high water bills: This could be due to undetected water leakage in the house. To diagnose this, turn off all taps in the house and check the meter. If the meter continues to count, then there is a higher probability that there’s a leakage. To be sure of this, note down the current meter reading, give it 6-20 hours, and then confirm the reading again. If it has changed, it’s then definite that there is a leakage. You can then start checking for the leaking points within the house to see how big the mess is. Only contact a professional plumber if the mess is too big for you.
3. Ceiling stains: If the stains are from an already repaired leakage, you do not necessarily have to repaint the ceiling again. Using a bleaching agent and water, dab the affected area to dissolve the stains. Ensure your eyes and hands are well protected when doing this.
4. Leaking pipes: These are easy to fix. First, make sure the main water valve is turned off, then drain water remaining in faucets nearby. Use sand paper to clean the pipe, then apply soldering flux. Using a torch, heat the pipe for a few minutes, then apply new solder until the leaking point is sealed completely.
5. Coloured water in taps: This problem is commonly associated with rusting. Before you can do anything, have the water tested to ascertain this. If the coloured water (red) is due to rust in your well, it would be advisable to have a water softener installed. The water softener should help cleanse the water by removing impurities from the water, hence allowing clean water into your house.
6. Window-shop for a plumber, if you need one: Some plumbing problems may be beyond your knowledge and abilities. If you feel only a professional plumber is capable of handling a problem, you should then look for the best in the market. Although most people will go for cheap plumbers, it’s advisable to go for the best and most affordable plumber you can find.
7. Handling taps: Avoid over-tightening water taps and handles in the same. Applying too much pressure on these handles will wear out the washers and gaskets used causing leakages.
Based on the tips discussed above, it is clear that most plumbing problems are simple and easy to repair. You can save good money by handling most of these repairs yourself. Only hire a professional North Shore plumbers for plumbing jobs that are beyond your capacity, especially if you need a hot water system installed, or need to have the entire system replaced.